By Jonathan Safran, Attorney and David Wolf, Attorney
Published by Child Injury Lawyer Network
Infants and babies are at risk for injury when co-sleeping and alcohol combine. In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a 6 day old baby died when the mother fell asleep or passed out on the couch at home. Rose Prescott, age 30, informed police that she may have fallen asleep on the couch after consuming alcohol earlier in the day. It was reported that the death of the child (Celianna) happen to be the third co-sleeping death in the immediate family.
Co-sleeping is commonly referred to as the family bed. Many parents and caregivers like to sleep in the same bed with an infant or child as sort of a bonding experience. Unfortunately, co-sleeping is extremely dangerous to infants and babies as they are at risks for suffocation and other related injuries as a result of an adult inadvertently lying or crushing the child.
You can read more about this story at Co-Sleeping Death in Wisconsin Results in Criminal Charges.
You can read more statistics and information regarding this topic at Co-Sleeping with a Baby Can Be Dangerous.