By Anthony Ferguson, Attorney and David Wolf, Attorney
Published by Child Injury Lawyer Network
While visiting Vinalhaven, Maine with his parents for the holidays, 2-year-old Noah Thompson died from strangulation after he entangled himself in a mesh covering placed on top of his crib. According to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland, the boy apparently stood up and became entangled in the netting when he stuck his head out between the netting and the edge of the crib. You can read more about this tragedy at 2 Year Old Strangled by Crib Mesh in Maine.
Unfortunately in many instances, tragedies and deaths like the one to Noah Thompson are the only things that effectuate change and safety measures by government agencies, manufacturers, and businesses. Before a product is put on the market, it should be thoroughly tested and studied to make sure that the safety of the child is placed as the most important factor. Safety should be given the highest priority over price, form, function, and aesthetics or the look of the product.