Published on:

Michigan Day Care Centers / Child Care Centers – Parents Guide to Filing a Complaint with Department of Human Resources

By Andrew Prine, Attorney and David Wolf, Attorney
Published by Child Injury Lawyer Network


The Michigan Department of Human Resources licenses and regulations child day care centers. The facilities have a duty to follow and comply with the regulations. A parent or guardian of a child can file a grievance or complaint against a Michigan child day care center if the parent or guardian believes that the center is not complying with its obligations to follow the regulations which include proper supervision of the children in a safe environment. The Michigan Department of Human Resources publishes a Citizen’s Guide to Filing a Complaint against a Licensed Child Care Provider. This is an administrative type of complaint. In other words, the filing of a complaint or grievance will result in an investigation by the Department of Human Resources which may result in sanctions, fines, or (in extreme cases) license suspension or revocation. The filing of this type of Complaint, however, is not a substitute to a civil lawsuit or a substitute for a Michigan child injury lawyer. Through a civil lawsuit or claim and a Michigan child injury lawyer, a parent or guardian can pursue a case for compensation against the day care center / child care center for medical bills (past and future), pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life caused as a result of personal injuries sustained at the facility. If there are any concerns or questions when a child is injured at a Michigan day center center, contact a Michigan child injury lawyer for advice, consultation, and representation. Injury cases caused by negligence are handled on a contingency basis (i.e. no recovery – no fee).

Contact Information