Published on:

What Should a Parent Do When a Child Pedestrian is Hit by a Car?

By David Wolf, Attorney
Published by Child Injury Lawyer Network


In every community, children can be seen playing in the neighborhood and throughout the community. It is common to see children in crosswalks, roadways, sidewalks, and other areas that may present a danger to them. Drivers should slow down in residential communities, parking lots, and other areas with child pedestrians. Unfortunately, children are injured far too often in driveways, parking lots, streets, crosswalks, and other areas as pedestrians. When a child pedestrian is injured as a result of an automobile accident, a parent is often faced with many issues and challenges including the following:

Should the police be called? In most every instance, the police should be called to document the incident. Often times, stories change and facts are denied. A police report will help clarify the facts as they appeared at the accident scene and will help obtain automobile insurance information. While it is not necessary under most State laws to have a police report to pursue a civil case or insurance claim, accidents that are not reported to the police are often times questioned or challenged by insurance company.

Where should the child obtain medical care and treatment? The level and type of treatment will depend on the severity of the injuries. A parent may take the child to a local emergency room, pediatrician, primary care doctor, injury or accident clinic, or other location for an evaluation and treatment. Parents should act swiftly if the child has any symptoms or complaints following an accident.

Should photographs be taken at the scene of the accident? of the injuries? The simple answer to this question is “Yes”. To the extent possible, photographs at the scene of the accident or incident can be extremely helpful. It is also important to take photographs of any visibile injuries caused by the accident.

Of course, there are a number of other issues and challenges presented to a parent when a child pedestrian suffers personal injuries in an accident. A parent should consult with a Child Injury Lawyer for advice, consultation, and legal representation of the injured child. Another good resource for parents is the book – When the Wheels Stop Spinning – Legal Rights of the Injured Child – What Parents Need to Know After the Accident. This book has chapters on Pedestrian Injuries, Bicycle Injuries, Automobile Accidents, Damages and Compensation, Settlement, Wrongful Death, and other topics. You can get this book for free at When the Wheels Stop Spinning.

Contact Information